The 2022 Pinarello Nytro Grinta E-Gravel Bike Complements Your Ride
New Bike Day is always a cause for celebration. When New Bike Day happens to be a new model from our friends at Pinarello, we take notice and throw a little party. The all-new 2022 Pinarello Nytro Grinta is just that bike and it’s kind of a departure from what you might have come to expect from the Italian legends at Pinarello.
Let’s get down to business and tell what the Nytro Grinta is, and what it isn’t.
- The Pinarello Nytro Grinta is a pedal-assist electric gravel bike with a strong alloy frame, carbon fiber fork, SRAM Apex 1x11 speed drivetrain, and an innovative Fazua powertrain that’s been around for a while, but it fairly unfamiliar to many of us in North America.
- The Pinarello Nytro Grinta is not a high-performance road bike. While it is capable of carrying as fast and high as you want to pedal, the Grinta is intended for the more casual and endurance-minded rider who still desires some Pinarello panache.
In order to make the Grinta accessible, Pinarello purposely chose a less-expensive path while maintaining classic Pinarello style and quality. The alloy frame certainly adds some weight to the overall package and the SRAM Apex drivetrain does the same. But the technology and design make it a tremendous value for an all-road rider who likes quality as much as they enjoy saving a few dollars.
An electric pedal-assist gravel bike is not necessarily a new thing, not even from Pinarello which has sold the Dyodo for a few years now. But the Grinta rewrites some of the rules we’ve been used to seeing from Pinarello. The most notable thing you’ll notice - and the thing we’ll spend the most time digging into - is the Fazua power train system.
Supplying up to 250 watts of added power, the Fazua motor is very different from the Mahle EBikemotion system used on the Dyodo. Instead of the motor in the rear hub, the Fazua motor is integrated into the downtube with the battery and provides its power through a connective bottom bracket rotor. All of the weight - 4.6 kilograms (10.1 pounds) - is located in pretty much one easily accessed place. The battery, motor, and bottom bracket connect in the downtube and are protected by a rugged cover.
So what makes Fazua different and how does it work? Glad you asked.
First and foremost, you can even remove the battery and motor to drop the weight of the battery by about 6 pounds. Doing so means that even with the motor still in the bike, its super low friction makes your Grinta becomes a ‘normal’ bike. Optional batteries, frame bags and a downtube cover provide a variety of ways to configure the bike for longer or lighter days in the saddle.
Mounted into the downtube and connected to the bottom bracket with three-tooth spindles, the powertrain rotates and drive the bottom bracket and crankset with gearing that adds three levels of oomph to your ride.
- Breeze is the lowest amount of pedal assist you can dial up and adds 100 watts of power to your rides - taking the sting out of harder sections of road or helping you bridge the gap and maintain pace during a group ride.
- River is a mid-level power bump that lets you keep a quicker pace or tackle rolling terrain comfortably and tops out with 210 watts of extra juice.
- When the road gets steep, the Rocket mode delivers as much as 250 watts of climbing power to get you to the top of the mountain so the only gasping you’ll do is when your jaw drops as you take in the summit views.
Each power level is controlled by a touch-pad integrated into the Pinarello Nytro Grinta top tube with color-indicating lights showing what power level you’re in. Naturally, you can turn the power off to ride au natural. For those who prefer it, you can sync your Fazua power system via bluetooth to a handlebar mounted controller.
As mentioned above, you can pull the battery (3.1 pounds) and motor (4.2 pounds) to quickly turn your e-bike into a standard bike weighing 7.3 pounds less than it did just moments before. This keeps the bike lightweight, as is seen on other Fazua-equipped bikes like the Trek Domane or Canyon Endurace electric bikes. Overall weight is about 34 lbs in a size small,50cm complete bike without pedals.
The Nytro Grinta offers pedal assist up to 20 mph, as do most electric-assist gravel and all-road bikes. Its 250Wh battery should offer assist range of 30 to 50 miles depending on use. Other things to note include tire clearance for up to a 700c x 40mm tire and mounts for fenders as well.
Pinarello is bringing a wider range of bikes to its Nytro family of pedal-assist rides. For now, we’re thrilled to offer the Nytro Grinta at our shop while we eagerly anticipate the arrival of other models such as the city-friendly Nytro Urbanist, the road-worthy Nytro Roadster and Gravel, and possibly some Nytro mountain bikes in the coming months.
One thing is certain. The 2022 Pinarello Nytro Grinta provides an outstanding value from a trusted name with a comfortable fit, responsive performance and panache you expect from our Italian friends.